Witness Communication Training
Jurors consider themselves experts on people, so the impressions made by a witness can strongly influence a jury’s decision making. This is especially true when such impressions are negative.
Witness communication training helps witnesses develop a deeper understanding of the themes, context, and purpose of their testimony.
In-person or online, witness preparation:
- Reduces or eliminates witness anxiety
- Clarifies the deponent’s role in the case
- Helps deponents stay on message
- Assists in developing a credible conversational tone
- Identifies and mitigates any non-verbal issues, such as tics, fidgeting or eye-rolling
- Provides techniques for effectively handling documents and exhibits
Consultants will also explain to witnesses jurors’ expectations for their testimony, and correct behaviors that get in the way of jurors’ positive perceptions.
Magna’s jury consultants help witnesses feel more in control of their testimony while adhering to the rules of testimony and to avoid being “advocates” for their side of the case. We develop “safe harbors” that give witnesses structure and tools to deal with tough cross-examination questions. The use of videotape feedback during witness communication training can often help a witness identify what the jurors may perceive. These tools will allow your witnesses the opportunity to learn and practice strategies in order to best respond to challenging questions and deliver the most effective message at trial.
We use videotape feedback to help witnesses identify what the jurors may perceive. These tools will allow your witnesses to practice strategies for responding to challenging questions and delivering the most effective message at trial.
Defending a Virtual Deposition?
Witness preparation eliminates the added layer of anxiety from the virtual setting by:
- Practicing. Deponents can feel “alone” without counsel, so a practice session with the platform can help diminish this
- Reviewing procedures for pauses, objections, and exhibits
- Instructing deponents where to look for the most natural and effective presentation (particularly if being recorded)
- Familiarizing participants with the remote platform’s features (chats, mute, viewing exhibits, etc.)
- Coaching on attire and effective posture
Magna Legal Services has been facilitating remote depositions for over a decade. However, many people are just now taking and defending depositions for the first time in a virtual format. While the Magna LitigationVision (MLV) platform makes remote depositions easy, there are some tips and tricks to help witnesses and attorneys perform well.
Magna’s consultants are experts in preparing witnesses and attorneys for virtual depositions. They will share their practical tips and logistical considerations, explain how remote depositions work and the platform’s capabilities, and will provide advice to attorneys.
Magna consultants will work with your key witnesses and provide them with performance feedback in a non-threatening context making suggestions regarding style, language, and demeanor. .
Witness Prep with a Magna Consultant
Magna is platform agnostic! Please let us know if you have a preference for Zoom, Cisco, Webex, etc.