What is The Difference Between Interpreting & Translation?
Interpreting is oral translation (spoken).
MODES of Interpreting:
The speaker and interpreter take turns talking. The interpreter waits for the speaker to finish, then renders the speaker’s words into the target language.
Most common for: events with few participants: meetings, depositions, trials, etc.
The interpreter usually sits next to the speaker but should be “invisible”—speaking in the first person as the speaker, not “he/she said.”
The speaker and interpreter talk at the same time. The interpreter listens and interprets the speakers’ words at the same time, usually with a 1-2 second lag.
Most common for: conferences and other large events. Interpreters are often in soundproof booths with microphones, while the participants listen on headphones to avoid disruption.
Translation is done in writing.
Types & Formats of Translation:
English to Spanish, Spanish to English, French to Italian, etc.
Legal, medical, technical & other industries
Anywhere from a single page to millions of words
Word, Excel, PDF, desktop publishing, etc.
Skills Unique to Translators
- Usually work only in one direction into their native (or strongest) written language
- Excellent reading comprehension in one or more languages
- Great referencing and researching skills
- Excellent writers in their target language
Types of Professional Interpreting
- Used for trials, hearings, depositions, attorney-client meetings and more
- Accurately interpret both conversational vocabulary and specialized legal terminology
- Maintain a high ethical standard in order to remain neutral and avoid potentially miscommunicating an intended message
- For international parties, legal interpreters also need to be knowledgeable of the litigation processes and terminology used in each region
- Used to communicate medical & healthcare concepts for businesses, insurance professionals and litigators as well as between patients and their healthcare professionals
- Require intimate knowledge of medical terminology, concepts & procedures
- Require understanding of cultural norms
- Follow ethical guidelines which protect confidentiality and prevent counseling
- Have years of highly specialized education and training
- Understand terminology and concepts for various industries
- Able to listen for a period of time and accurately repeat everything that was said while preserving the tone and intended message
- Many belong to professional associations with rigorous membership requirements
Sign Language Interpreters
- Used to communicate between signed language and spoken language
- Many are industry specialized to communicate medical, legal and other specific terminology
- Utilize facial expressions, body language and lip movements to enhance communication
- Some specialize in tactile signing for those who are both deaf and blind
Need an interpreter? Click here
Types of Document Translation
- Claim documents
- Clinical trial documentation
- Accident reports
- Medical bills
- Healthcare records
- Technical manuals and drawings
- Engineering specifications
- Software documentation
- Standard operating procedures
Click to here read “Updating & Translating Contracts and Important Documents”
High Quality, Certified Translations
Magna Legal Services provides document translations in any language combination, subject matter and volume. Communicate confidently with accurate, high-quality translations that preserve the right context and tone.
Translation Services include:
- Translations into and from any language conducted by college-educated, vetted native linguists with subject-matter expertise and knowledge of cultural norms
- Rush turnaround as needed
- Document review and summary translations to determine relevance before full translation
- All translations are edited and proofread by at least a second, and in some cases, a third equally qualified linguist to ensure accuracy
- Certification is provided at no additional cost.
- Multilingual glossary management to ensure consistency and comprehension
- Custom-tailored translation solutions, so you only pay for what you need!
Whether you need one language or many, full translation from scratch or review/editing of existing translations, or a combination thereof — Magna can handle it all.
Legal & Professional Interpreting Services
Magna provides interpreters on-site for any language, anywhere in the world for all types of events, including conferences, depositions, trials, meetings and medical examinations.
Our interpreters are all college-educated, certified professionals with extensive experience in legal, medical, technical, and business fields. You can be confident that the interpreter assigned to your event is a vetted professional with the necessary language skills and professionalism to ensure your success.
If your looking to book an interpreter or would like to know more, contact us at [email protected] or 866.624.6221
Related Articles & Pages: