During the COVID-19 crisis, Magna is offering 45 minutes of FREE witness prep with one of our expert jury consultants *Discounted 10% after the first 45 minutes.
Defending a remote deposition?
The Magna LegalVision (MLV) platform allows you to virtually depose a witness, or defend a deposition, from anywhere in the world. While MLV makes remote depositions easy, there are some tips and tricks to help witnesses and attorneys perform well in a virtual platform.
Magna Legal Services has been facilitating remote depositions for over a decade. However, many people are just now taking and defending depositions for the first time in a virtual format. Magna’s consultants are experts in preparing witnesses and attorneys for remote depositions. They will share their practical tips and logistical considerations, explain how remote depositions work and the platform’s capabilities, and will provide advice to attorneys on how to prepare themselves and their witnesses.
In any setting, in-person or online, witness preparation:
- Reduces or eliminates witness anxiety
- Clarifies the deponent’s role in the case
- Helps deponents stay on message
- Assists in developing a credible conversational tone
- Identifies and mitigates any non-verbal issues, such as tics, fidgeting or eye-rolling
- Provides techniques for effectively handling documents and exhibits
Witness preparation eliminates the added layer of anxiety from the virtual setting by:
- Practicing. Deponents can feel “alone” without counsel, so a practice session with the platform can help diminish this
- Reviewing procedures for pauses, objections, and exhibits
- Instructing deponents where to look for the most natural and effective presentation (particularly if being recorded)
- Familiarizing participants with the remote platform’s features (chats, mute, viewing exhibits, etc.)
- Coaching on attire and effective posture
Magna consultants will work with your key witnesses and provide them with performance feedback in a non-threatening context making suggestions regarding style, language, and demeanor. Magna consultants help witnesses feel more in control of their testimony while adhering to the rules of testimony and to avoid being “advocates” for their side of the case. We develop “safe harbors” that give witnesses structure and tools to deal with tough cross-examination questions. The use of videotape feedback during witness communication training can often help a witness identify what the jurors may perceive. These tools will allow your witnesses the opportunity to learn and practice strategies in order to best respond to challenging questions and deliver the most effective message at trial.
To book a witness preparation session, or any of Magna’s services, contact us at 866.624.6221 or Scheduling@MagnaLS.com