How the Pandemic Affects Juror Perspectives
… and how to adjust your litigation strategy accordingly
By conducting a series of nationwide surveys, Magna consultants examined COVID-19’s impact on prospective jurors’ attitudes and beliefs. Let’s look at the facts:
In today’s world, many jurors feel the need to be the “guardians of the community” by forcing companies to change their bad behavior with large damage awards. Litigators and those in the insurance industry refer to these as “reptilian jurors“, who are responsible for the increasing frequency of “nuclear verdicts”.
Factors that drive up verdicts include:
- Juror Vulnerability, Fear, Volatility, & Polarization
- Rising Costs & Uncertainty of the Future
- More Millennials on Juries
- Bad Testimony or Misidentification of Corporate Representatives
- Anti-Corporate Bias – “Profits over Safety”
- Not Setting a Floor or Providing a Low Damages Anchor
- Not Addressing Key Issues/Themes in Jury Selection/Opening
Our research has shown the below trend in recent juror perspectives:
Now more than ever, it is important to know how juror perspectives changed in your specific venue for your specific case issues.
It’s not a question if the pandemic will affect your cases… it’s a question of how it will affect your cases.
In general, many potential jurors now are more vulnerable – both health-wise and financially – than pre-pandemic, which can make people more plaintiff-friendly. However, depending on the venue, the most vulnerable, most risk-averse (i.e., most plaintiff-friendly) may be less likely to show up for jury duty or to be seated on a jury at present.
Luckily, there are some research tools to answer this question and give you the current data you need to adjust your litigation strategy.
Test Your Damages
What is your case worth now? JuryEvaluator offers a scientific and statistically significant damages assessment for your ACTUAL CASE from your ACTUAL JURY POOL. This research will consider the effect of COVID-19 and current media climate, to provide insight into your case risk, exposure and value.
- Research conducted in your case venue using your actual case facts
- Research captures present-day surrogate juror attitudes and biases
- Statistical analyses provide a reliable range of potential damages if the case went to a jury trial (economic, non-economic & punitive)
- Optional Juror Profiling analysis
Online Focus Groups
How has COVID impacted juror perspectives in your venue? Test your themes, storylines, social climate & more with JuryConfirm, Magna’s patented online focus group platform.
- Evidence analyzer powered by AI
- Live attorney presentations with limitless capabilities
- Simulation of court room environment with interactive avatars and live video feed of jurors and attorneys
- Live (video) juror deliberations with more panels than ever available before
- Real-time results: Fully-customized questionnaires, polling & presentation feedback
- Detailed reports featuring case evaluation, theme development, and jury profiles
Nationwide COVID-19 Study Results
Magna Legal Services conducted a series of nationwide surveys to assess evolving changes and shifts in juror perceptions in this brave new world.
Study includes 5,000 respondents
& 100+ questions about:
- Law Enforcement
- Life Sciences
Learn about our findings:
- Halo effect
- Business Interruption Coverage
- Reptilian Influence
- Crisis Fatigue
- Juror Vulnerability
Complete the form to download your FREE copy of Magna’s COVID Study results >>
Contact our 24/7 Hotline for a FREE Case Consultation: 877.220.1821